Keeble, Richard (2008) Ethics for journalists [2nd edition]. Media Skills . Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon. ISBN 97800415430760
Full content URL: http://www.routledge.com/books/details/97804154307...
Full text not available from this repository.
Ethics for journalists tackles many of the issues which journalists face in their everyday lives - from the media's supposed obsession with sex, sleaze and sensationalism, to issues of regulation and censorship. Its accessible style and question and answer approach highlights the relevance of ethical issues for everyone involved in journalism, both trainees and professionals, whether working in print, broadcast or new media.
Ethics for journalists provides a comprehensive overview of ethical dilemmas and features interviews with a number of journalists, including the celebrated investigative reporter Phillip Knightley. Presenting a range of imaginative strategies for improving media standards and supported by a thorough bibliography and a wide ranging list of websites, Ethics for Journalists, Second Edition, considers many problematic subjects including:
* representations of gender, race, sexual orientation, disability, mental health and suicide
* ethics online - 'citizen journalism' and its challenges to 'professionalism'
* controversial calls for a privacy law to restrain the power of the press
* journalistic techniques such as sourcing the news, doorstepping, death-knocks and the use of subterfuge
* the impact of competition, ownership and advertising on media standards
* the handling of confidential sources and the dilemmas of war and peace reporting.
A 'must read' for anyone studying journalism ethics or working in the field.
|Item Type:||Book or Monograph|
|Keywords:||journalism ethics, confidential sources, media skills, ethical and and regulatory issues|
|Subjects:||P Mass Communications and Documentation > P500 Journalism|
|Divisions:||College of Arts > School of English & Journalism > School of English & Journalism (Journalism)|
|Deposited By:||Rosaline Smith|
|Deposited On:||10 Sep 2010 14:26|
|Last Modified:||29 Oct 2013 17:17|
Repository Staff Only: item control page